Places After the Pandemic
Published by HACT and Placeshapers, September 2020
PlaceShapers asked HACT to support it in identifying and assessing the experiences and trends in members’ responses to the Covid-19 pandemic. As well as capturing a picture of the first few months of the pandemic, PlaceShapers also asked HACT to focus on the wider issues that have emerged and what this means for the future.
Between May and July 2020 HACT interviewed senior staff, predominantly Chief Executives, from 12 PlaceShaper members and ran five themed focus group attended by 79 people from 45 PlaceShaper members. The report outlines these findings and makes recommendations.
- Place became hyper-local during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- The Covid-19 pandemic highlighted and exacerbated existing challenges faced for organisations operating across different geographies.
- Partnership working has been a significant success in the response to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Resident engagement has been wider than ever before.
- Agile working and governance have been crucial.
- There has been a shift towards decentralising of staff and services.
- Create learning and development programmes for PlaceShapers’ members, so they can collaborate and explore how best to work in place.
- Harness and build on the appetite for collaboration across housing.
- Explore a new approach to Value for Money.
- Make sure housing is fit for the future, and repeat this activity